National Writing Contests
Please read our submission guidelines thoroughly as they have changed slightly this year.
The winners of the previous issue’s contest can be found here:
National Writing Contest in Fiction, Creative Nonfiction, and Poetry
*** $1,000 First Place Prize in Each Genre ***
Alligator Juniper is an award-winning national literary magazine published by the Arts & Letters program at Prescott College and featuring contemporary poetry, fiction and creative nonfiction. We encourage submissions from writers at all levels, emerging, early-career, and established.
We produce one annual issue comprised of the winners and finalists of our national contests, judged by the current editors and staff. Our contests are open between August 15th and October 15th of each year. All entrants pay an $18 submission fee and receive a copy of that year’s issue in the spring. We also offer editorial feedback on every manuscript submitted. First place winning writers in each genre receive a $1,000 prize. All finalists are published and paid in contributor copies.
- *Reading period is August 15 to October 15 annually.*
- Maximum length: 30 pages or 5 poems.
- Include an $18 entry fee payable to Alligator Juniper for each story, essay or for a submission of up to five poems. Additional entries require an additional fee.
- No children’s literature or genre work will be accepted.
- No previously published work will be accepted.
- A simultaneous submission will be accepted, but contact us if your work is selected elsewhere.
- Please omit any personal information from your manuscript and instead submit a cover letter with name, permanent address, telephone number, and email address.
- Add page numbering to all submitted, typed manuscripts. Any prose submitted must be double-spaced using a 12 point font; format each page with one inch margins. Poetry submissions should be single-spaced.
- Submit entries via our submissions link at www.alligatorjuniper.org (for a $3 printing fee) or by regular mail (gratis) beginning August 15.
- No email submissions will be accepted.
- Note: We usually inform in January.
Online submissions now accepted!
Submit with our online submissions manager at our website or through the link on this blog.
For hard copy submissions: Make checks or money orders payable to “Alligator Juniper.”
- Indicate genre category with a large F, NF, or P on the cover letter and mailing envelope.
- Include SASE for notification; manuscripts will not be returned.
- The mailing address for submissions is: Alligator Juniper, Prescott College, 220 Grove Avenue, Prescott, Arizona 86301.
- Add page numbering to all submitted, typed manuscripts. Any prose submitted must be double-spaced using a 12 point font; format each page with one inch margins. Poetry submissions should be single-spaced. Manuscripts should be typed with numbered pages. Double-sided submissions are encouraged. Please omit any personal information from your manuscript and instead submit a cover letter with name, permanent address, telephone number, and email address.
Selection Process: All entries are read and discussed by writing students and distinguished writers in their genre. Due to the rotating nature of our editorial staff, each issue has a unique aesthetic. All entrants receive a personal letter from one of our staff regarding the status of their submission as well as feedback on the piece. (Check out praise from past participants regarding the feedback they received in the “Love Notes” section of our website and the “Reviews” section of this blog.) The individual attention we devote to each manuscript takes time and we appreciate your patience.
Thank you for your interest!