National Writing Contests
Please read our submission guidelines thoroughly as they have changed slightly this year.
The winners of the previous issue’s contest can be found here:
National Writing Contest in Fiction, Creative Nonfiction, and Poetry
$18 Entry Fee
*** $1,000 First Place Prize in Each Genre ***
Our annual contest awards $1000 plus publication for the first place winners in fiction, creative nonfiction, and poetry. Finalists in each genre will be recognized as such and published. Cost of entry: $18, checks or money orders payable to Alligator Juniper. There is no theme for this issue; work is selected upon artistic merit. By entering our contest, you agree to allow us to select your work for publication as a finalist. We encourage submissions from writers of all levels, including emerging or early-career writers. We accept simultaneous submissions; inform us in your cover letter and contact us immediately, should your work be selected elsewhere.
- *Reading period is August 15-October 1st annually.*
- Maximum length: 30 pages or 5 poems
- Include a $18 entry fee payable to Alligator Juniper for each story, essay, or up to five poems. Additional entries require an additional fee.
- No children’s literature or genre work please.
- No previously published work.
- Simultaneous submission accepted, but contact us if your work is selected elsewhere.
- Please omit any personal information from your manuscript and instead submit a cover letter with name, permanent address, phone number, and email.
- Manuscripts should be typed with numbered pages. Prose double-spaced, 12 point font, and 1″ margins. Poetry single-spaced.
- Submit via our submissions link at www.alligatorjuniper.org ($3 printing fee) or by snail mail (gratis) beginning 8/14.
- No email submissions please.
- Note: We usually inform in January.
Online submissions now accepted!
Submit with our online submissions manager at our website or through the link on this blog.
For hard copy submissions: Make checks or money orders payable to “Alligator Juniper”
- Indicate genre category with a large F, NF, or P on cover letter and mailing envelope.
- Include SASE for notification; manuscripts are not returned.
- Send to: Alligator Juniper, Prescott College, 220 Grove Avenue, Prescott, AZ 86301
- Manuscripts should be typed with numbered pages. Prose double-spaced, 12 point font, and 1″ margins. Include author’s name on first page. Double-sided submissions are encouraged.
Selection Process: All entries are read and discussed by writing students and distinguished writers in their genre. Due to the rotating nature of our editorial staff, each issue has a unique aesthetic. All entrants receive a personal letter from one of our staff regarding the status of their submission, as well as minor feedback on the piece. This is a rare opportunity for writers to get a word back from the editors. (Check out praise from past submitters regarding the feedback they received in the “Love Notes” section of our website and the “Reviews” section of this blog.) The individual attention we devote to each manuscript takes time, thus informing submitters in late January. We appreciate your patience.
Learn what we’ve liked by reading Alligator Juniper
Back issues are available for most years for only $5 and free shipping. Order here.
Thank you for your interest!