National Writing Contests
We are currently closed to national writing submissions.
The winners of this year’s contest can be found here:
Alligator Juniper will be on hiatus for the academic year 2013-2014. Our apologies to all subscribers and to those who have already sent work for the 2014 issue. We will be returning manuscripts and fees. We look forward to reading your work and honoring subscriptions again next fall.
National Writing Contest in Fiction, Creative Nonfiction, and Poetry
$15 Entry Fee
*** $1,000 First Place Prize in Each Genre ***
Our annual contest awards $1000 plus publication for the first place winners in fiction, creative nonfiction, and poetry. National contest winners will be given the additional honor of judging Prescott College’s student contest in their winning genre. Finalists in each genre will be recognized as such, published, and paid in copies. Cost of entry: $15, checks or money orders payable to Alligator Juniper. Every entrant receives one copy of the 2014 issue, a $10 value, upon its release in the spring. There is no theme for this issue; work is selected upon artistic merit. By entering our contest, you agree to allow us to select your work for publication as a finalist. We encourage submissions from writers of all levels, including emerging or early-career writers. We accept simultaneous submissions; inform us in your cover letter and contact us immediately, should your work be selected elsewhere.
- *Submissions will not be accepted this year.*
- Maximum length: 30 pages or 5 poems
- Include a $15 entry fee payable to Alligator Juniper for each story, essay, or up to five poems. Additional entries require an additional fee.
- No children’s literature or genre work.
- No previously published work.
- Simultaneous submission accepted, but contact us if your work is selected elsewhere.
- Include a cover letter with name, address, phone number, and email.
- Manuscripts should be typed with numbered pages. Prose double-spaced, 12 point font, and 1″ margins. Include author’s name on first page.
- Double-sided submissions are encouraged.
- Must include $15 entry fee.
- No email submissions.
- Note: We usually inform in January.
Online submissions now accepted!
Submit with our online submissions manager at our website or through the link on this blog.
For hard copy submissions: Make checks or money orders payable to “Alligator Juniper”
- Indicate genre category with a large F, NF, or P on cover letter and mailing envelope.
- Include SASE for notification; manuscripts are not returned.
- Send to: Alligator Juniper, Prescott College, 220 Grove Avenue, Prescott, AZ 86301
- Manuscripts should be typed with numbered pages. Prose double-spaced, 12 point font, and 1″ margins. Include author’s name on first page. Double-sided submissions are encouraged.
Selection Process: All entries are read and discussed by writing students and distinguished writers in their genre. Due to the rotating nature of our editorial staff, each issue has a unique aesthetic. All entrants receive a personal letter from one of our staff regarding the status of their submission, as well as minor feedback on the piece. This is a rare opportunity for writers to get a word back from the editors. (Check out praise from past submitters regarding the feedback they received in the “Love Notes” section of our website and the “Reviews” section of this blog.) The individual attention we devote to each manuscript takes time, thus informing submitters in late January. We appreciate your patience.
Learn what we’ve liked by reading Alligator Juniper
Back issues are available for most years for only $5 and free shipping. Order here.
Thank you for your interest!